August 6, 2011 3:35 pm Leave your thoughts
Here we have a recipe for a gluten-free coconut slice, using a couple of gluten-free flours and Orgran’s gluten-free gluten (GFG). The use of rice syrup makes this slice not so sweet as one made with golden syrup – if you want a sweeter slice, use golden syrup instead.
- 125ml cold water
- 220g gluten-free maize corn flour
- 100g gluten-free rice flour
- 70g GFG
- 1 fresh egg (lightly beaten)
- 60g melted margarine or butter
- 115g organic fine cane raw sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp organic rice syrup or Crazy Jack golden syrup
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 45g organic desiccated coconut
- 4 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp grated lemon rind
- 30g margarine or butter
- 1 tsp hot water
- 2 tsp lemon juice
Preheat oven to 170°C (340°F) and grease a Lamington tin.
1. Melt the margarine and syrup over a low heat.
2. Combine all the dry ingredients with the lightly beaten egg and cold water.
3. Pour in the melted margarine and syrup.
4. When well combined, press into a well-greased 28 cm x 18 cm x 4cm (11 in x 7 in x 1.5 in) Lamington tin.
5. Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes.
6. When cool, spread with lemon icing and cut into squares.
To make the lemon icing:
1. Sift the icing sugar into a bowl.
2. Combine the soft margarine, lemon juice, grated lemon rind and hot water, and stir until the margarine melts.
3. Mix into icing sugar and beat until it is smooth.
This post was written by Sue