June 24, 2012 8:12 am Leave your thoughts
Orgran Easy Bake Bread Mix is easy to bake and provides great results when baked in a conventional oven.
Hints and tips
- Bread can be microwaved to freshen after storage
- A baked loaf is best used within two days
- Baked bread can be frozen in an airtight freezer bag
Puff Pastry Hints and Tips
- Make sure you follow the helpful and full directions on the Organ packet. Don’t try to take shortcuts when making this pastry – follow the instructions carefully!
- Do not use margarine. To achieve the flaky layers associated with puff pastry, you will need to use a hard fat such as butter (diet permitting) or vegetable shortening
- If using butter, make sure that you have had it out the fridge for about 30 minutes so that it is not too hard when rolling it into the dough. It must still be firm and slightly cold – but not hard.
- Make sure your utensils and equipment are cold.
- Leave the pastry in the freezer for the prescribed time between each rolling.
- If the edges of the pastry become too hard after being in the freezer, use your rolling pin to gently ‘work’ the pastry until it softens.
- While working the pastry, the butter may become ‘sloppy’ and the pastry difficult to work with. If this happens, put the pastry back in the freezer for 5-10 minutes, so that the butter can firm up slightly.
- While rolling the pastry, avoid dusting the working surface with flour, as this may not give the best results. Use flour to take away the initial stickiness, but then remove all traces of flour before continuing, otherwise the pastry will absorb the flour and may become tough.
- When working the pastry, be gentle – do not overwork.
- If the dough becomes sticky, chill in the fridge to let it harden again.
- Do not roll the pastry out too thinly when folding, as the dough may become over-extended.
- Manual pasta machines with rollers can be used to roll out pastry sheets to the desired thickness.
Shortcrust pastry hints and tips
- Ensure that the butter (diet permitting) is not too firm: you need to be able to squeeze it with your fingers. However, you don’t want it too soft – it should not turn into ‘mush’.
- Additional water may be needed to achieve the desired consistency.
- The rolled pastry sheets will be quite delicate, and must be handled carefully when placing into a pie-dish. Alternatively, the pastry dough can be pressed into the pie or baking dish, or you can follow the Organ pastry recipe that includes egg (diet permitting).
- It is usually best to ‘blind bake’ pastry shells prior to adding filling, to help stop the pastry absorbing too much moisture and going soggy. Place the shells into a pre-heated oven at 210°C for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Pastry mix FAQ
Can I make a vegan version?
For puff pastry in particular, hard solid fats are required to achieve the ‘flaky’ texture of puff pastry. Vegetable shortening can be used in place of butter. Soft margarine-type products will not work.
Can I use margarine to make puff pastry?
No. Using margarine will not result in the traditional flaky layers associated with puff pastry. You need to use a hard fat such as butter or vegetable shortening.
Can I store the prepared pastry sheets in the freezer?
Sheets of pastry can be prepared and stored in the freezer. If you are storing sheets in this way, they must be thoroughly wrapped to prevent them from drying out. When the sheets are required for baking, they can be removed from the freezer and made up as required.Tags: mail order, Orgran, orgran all purpose pastry mix, orgran bread mix
This post was written by Sue