The perfect chewy flapjack recipe

March 6, 2013 9:59 am Published by 19 Comments

This is one of our most popular recipes ever. I hope you like it: the ‘secret’ recipe for getting such a lovely soft chewy flapjack is to add flour, which is often left out.

To get 10% off of your next order simply put Flapjack14 into the discount voucher box at the checkout ( it will only apply for one order)

Chewy Flapjack Recipe

Ingredients

5oz oats (I like to use porridge, but lots of people like the more textured jumbo oats – we sell both)

2oz self-raising flour

4oz margarine or butter

4oz sugar

1tbsp golden syrup (we use the organic  Crazy Jack brand)

Method

Preheat the oven to 190c.

Melt the margarine and golden syrup together in a saucepan. Meanwhile, mix the dry ingredients. Add the melted ingredients and combine.

Turn out into a greased baking tray and bake for 10 minutes.

Mark out the slices immediately after cooking, and when they have cooled a little, lever them out of the tray and onto a cooling rack.

That’s it!

mixing flapjack

Oats are full of iron, zinc and vitamin B. They’re a great slow-releasing source of energy, so while you can’t exactly argue that a flapjack is a health food, it’s a great deal better as an energy-boosting snack than a lot of commercially produced cakes and bars.

This recipe can be added to and tinkered with, of course. I like to add some leftover nuts and seeds, sometimes (sunflower seeds, perhaps, or a handful of linseed). You can throw in some chopped dried fruit – raisins, sultanas, currants, apricots or dates. Add some crushed cornflakes or other cereals if you’ve got some that need using up – or replace some of the oats with a handful of muesli mix. A pinch of ground ginger or a squirt of lemon juice and its zest can give it a touch of sophistication.  Just don’t, ever, forget the flour! For a printable pdf of this recipe click here.

Stay in touch, get more recipes

If you liked this flapjack recipe, why not sign up to Naturally Good Food’s newsletter for more recipes, new product updates and special offers?

To have 10% off of your next order simply put Flapjack14 into the voucher code box at checkout ( it will only apply for one order)

We love Organic Apricots

Written by: Sue – One of the three directors of Naturally Good Food, (wife of one, mother of the other!) Happily trying to provide a service that she would have appreciated using when the family were young.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Categorised in: , , , , ,

This post was written by Sue

19 Comments

• R Lowe says:

By far the best flapjacks I have ever made. Been on the hunt for a good old gooey flapjack recipe for ages and this one is perfect. Thanks!

• Glenda says:

I have just tried this recipe & the flapjacks are amazing. Thank you.

• Lindsay Jones says:

After trying more “traditional” flapjack recipes and being at my absolute wits end, because every single time I tried to make them they either stuck in the tin or were too hard and with a fiancé constantly nagging me to make his absolute favourite treat, I searched the Internet and came across this recipe. Although sceptical at first, I made these today and am ecstatic!! They are unbelievably soft, chewy and incredibly delicious. Everything and more that I was hoping for, so good my mum instantly made me copy the recipe for her. I am delighted to have found a flapjack recipe that doesn’t stick in the tin and tastes sublime!

• Rachel says:

Hi, I just made these using a mixture of porridge and jumbo oats, and mixture of soft brown and caster sugar and they really are the best flapjacks I’ve ever made. The flour is inspired! Thanks v much 🙂

• Shirley Williams says:

At last – thank you!! I’ve been trying to make chewy flapjacks for years!!! They’ve always come out wrong – hard and brittle – or burnt! Have just made a batch and if I had to criticise, I find them a little too sweet – might try and reduce the sugar.

• Shirley Williams says:

Sorry, meant to say, but otherwise they are delicious AND chewy – yay!

• Nicola Hill says:

Hi!

Thought you might be interested in our Gluten Free Flapjacks. We use Maple syrup, which stops them being “sickly sweet”,

This recipe fills a deep baking tray, lined with silicon baking paper for easy removal.

1 pkt Glebe Farm Gluten Free Oat 500g
    215g Butter
    145g Light Brown Sugar
    5.5 tblsp Maple Syrup

Melt the butter, sugar, and syrup. Stir into dried ingredients. Press into baking tray. Cook at 180C for 30 to 35 mins.(We use an electrolux fan oven and reduce the temp to 170 C.)

Allow to cool slightly then remove from tin keeping silicon paper attached to flapjack. Allow to cool completely, then using a large carving or “chef’s” knife, cut into squares.

This creates quite a firm flapjack which is ideal for when you don’t want to get too sticky fingers or lose half your flapjack on the floor.

To make a stickier one, substitue upto half the maple syrup with golden syrup. This is a little sweeter but not too sweet. It is more sticky and soft and crumbly.

If, like me, you love maple syrup, you will not be able to leave these alone – we always bake three trays worth at a time – they keep in an airtight tin for at least 2 weeks – they’ve always gone by then so they may keep longer.

Best Regards,
    Nicola & Graham Hill.

• butterfly garden says:

I have made these twice within the last two days – my excuse is pregnancy; however they were really yummy. I have made flapjacks lots of times before but never been that pleased with the result but these are great and I do think that it is the addition of flour that makes the difference! I made mine with a muesli mix of oats, wholegrain oats, linseeds, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds. On my second batch I increased the muesli mix to nearly 7oz but kept the rest of the ingredients the same. I also added walnuts first time around and brazil nuts and dark chocolate pieces second time. Absolutely delicious! I increased the cooking time by 2 minutes on my second attempt, also I found that they needed to cool for quite a long time before being levered out or they broke so I basically scored them immediately and then left them until nearly cool before getting them out. I used a half size baking tray.

• Cate says:

Thanks very much indeed for the recipe. I always think it is super-nice of people to share really well loved and tried and tested recipes. I wanted a chewy and squidgy flapjack just as you describe, and this recipe delivers.

• Jenny says:

Hi all at NGF, just wanted to say how wonderful your recipe for chewy flapjacks is. Have been making different versions for years (many years, I am a granny to 4) and have always found them to be crunchy. However, the brilliant addition of flour has worked magic – why did I not think of doing that for myself ??? As you say, not exactly a health food but at least I know the quality of my ingredients. Will be browsing your online website next. Thank you.

• Melissa says:

Thank you so much for the flour advice, I think it’s going to really help. I love flapjacks but I can never get them like they are in the cafe or shopx

• Nina says:

Wow. Just wow. After trying and failing to make flapjack that’s chewy and soft and buttery all at the same time….. I’ve found a recipe that actually does all these things! Made these last night and already they’ve all gone and I’m so thrilled that at last I’ve conquered the perfect flapjack. Will be saving and printing this recipe before I can lose it, too good to lose! Thanks so much for sharing

• Nina says:

Was just going to add, I processed a 1/3 of the oats before I started so that the oat flakes weren’t all so big, also added 2oz raisins which really made it delicious. Will be adding dried mango and white chocolate chunks next time, can’t wait to play around with this recipe. Thanks again for sharing this wonderful recipe.

• Laura says:

Thank you, thank you. Finally the perfect flapjack recipe. I have received compliments galore and make them regularly now. The flour is the key to success, as you promised. Easy to make and variations on the ingredients produce delicious results, e.g., raisins, apricots and pumpkin seeds (and less sugar).