April 5, 2013 6:54 am Leave your thoughts
Vegetable biryani – this is a good meal for mid-week, when you can use up all those left-over vegetables. Quick and economical.
1 cup of brown organic basmati rice – Naturally Good Food stocks a huge range of brown organic rice; we think the brown basmati is the best.
750g diced mixed vegetables – this can be almost anything you have left; but it should include onions and potatoes.
1 tsp mustard seed
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp red chilli powder (or use a fresh chilli if you have one)
1 tsp allspice
2 tsp mixed ground coriander and cumin seed
1 tsp fresh ground ginger
1 tsp fresh ground garlic
1 tsp fresh green chillies
Finely chopped coriander
1. Heat the oil. Add the mustard seeds and mixed coriander and cumin seeds, and fry until they start to pop. Then add all the vegetables into the pan.
2. Add the rice and mix with the vegetables.
3. Stir in the rest of the spices (except for the fresh coriander).
4. Add 2 cups of water.
5. Bring to the boil, cover the pan and simmer on a low heat until cooked (about 25 minutes).
6. Sprinkle with the fresh coriander and serve with natural yogurt.Tags: organic basmati rice, vegetable biryani
This post was written by Sue