March 3, 2014 12:05 pm Leave your thoughts
These have surely got to be fantastic. And if you’re giving up chocolate for Lent, they’ll at least give you the satisfaction of a big blow-out before you do!
Chocolate Pancake Ingredients
100g plain flour
25g cocoa powder
¼ tsp fine sea salt
1 tbsp caster sugar
2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
1 tbsp melted butter, plus a few knobs for cooking
300ml whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the chocolate sauce:
15g unsalted butter
1½ tbsp clear honey
70ml whole milk
For the crème chantilly:
250ml double cream
2–3 tbsp icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 tbsp flaked or nibbed almonds, lightly toasted
Candied orange zest (optional)
- For the pancakes, sift the flour, cocoa powder and salt into a bowl and stir in the sugar. Make a well in the centre and tip in the beaten eggs, melted butter, milk and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine the ingredients and form a smooth batter, but try not to overwork the mixture. Leave to stand or chill for at least 30 mins.
- For the chocolate sauce, break the chocolate into small pieces and place in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Add the butter and honey and allow to melt, stirring from time to time. Remove from the heat and gradually whisk in the milk until you have a smooth sauce. If necessary, warm the sauce slightly before serving.
- For the crème chantilly, in a bowl, whip the cream with the icing sugar and vanilla extract to soft peaks. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- To cook the pancakes, place a non-stick crêpe pan over a medium heat and add a knob of butter. When melted, tilt the pan so that the butter coats the base. Add a small ladleful of batter and swirl to evenly coat the base of the pan in a thin layer. Cook for about 1½ mins until the batter is set and golden brown underneath. Flip over to cook the other side for a minute. Transfer to a warm plate and wrap in a tea towel to keep warm. Repeat with the rest of the batter, stacking the pancakes, interleaved with greaseproof paper, in the tea towel as they are cooked.
- To serve, spread a layer of crème chantilly over one half of each pancake, scattering with a few toasted almonds. Fold the plain half of the pancake over the filling to enclose, then fold again into quarters.
- Place one filled pancake on each serving plate and drizzle over the chocolate sauce. Scatter over a few toasted almonds, and if you wish, top with some candied orange zest.
(Source: www.goodtoknow/recipes)Tags: candied orange peel, caster sugar, cocoa powder, dark chocolate, flaked almonds, honey, icing sugar, plain flour, sea salt, vanilla extract
This post was written by Sue