February 8, 2015 12:04 pm Leave your thoughts
We have an increasing number of customers looking for foods that fit into a ‘paleo’ diet. Of course, many of our products are suitable for those on paleo diets – lots of our nuts, for example, our alternative flours, vegetable oils, sugar alternatives and non-dairy milks. However, we also stock some products from a company specifically dedicated to providing paleo options.
Paleo Foods co
With a mammoth as its logo, and a claim to have been established some 10,000 years ago (which might not stand up in court), the Paleo Foods Co. makes three varieties of grain-free granola, all of which we stock, in 340g packs. These granolas are all free from grains, wheat and gluten. They look just like standard granola, but instead contain simply toasted nuts, fruit and seeds, with honey – often shaved, chopped or shredded, to give you a satisfying mouthful. These granolas are naturally low in carbohydrates and a good source of protein. Here’s what we stock:
- Honey and Pecan: or ‘original’ granola. The ingredients consist of almonds, cashew nuts, brazil nuts, pecans, hazelnuts, along with seeds (pumpkin and chia), honey and shredded coconut.
- Berry and Almond: the same as the original, minus the pecan nuts. These are replaced with dried blackcurrants and cherries.
- Cocoa and Hazelnut: my personal favourite. In this one, the pecans are replaced by ground cocoa and cocoa nibs.
If you search our website for ‘paleo’, you’ll also come up with two other grain-free mueslis, from Primrose’s Kitchen in Dorset. We have Raw Beetroot and Ginger Muesli, and Raw Carrot, Apple and Cinnamon Muesli. However, these two mueslis do contain oats, which are not accepted on all paleo diets. The oats are, however, guaranteed gluten- and wheat-free, so may be of interest to some of our customers.
- Raw Beetroot and Ginger Muesli: contains oats, beetroot, agave nectar, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, virgin coconut oil, flaked almonds, linseed, coconut pieces, ginger, milk thistle seed, soya lecithin.
- Raw Carrot, Apple and Cinnamon Muesli: contains oats, carrot, agave nectar, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, virgin coconut oil, flaked almonds, linseeds, coconut pieces, ground cinnamon, apple, chia seeds and psyllium.
We know that we have customers interested in expanding their diets generally. What could be better than getting a great boost of nuts, vegetables and seeds every morning, instead of your usual grains?Tags: almond milk, coconut milk, cold-pressed oils, gluten-free flours, grain-free granola, muesli, non-dairy milk, Nuts, paleo, Paleo Foods Co., Primroses Kitchen, Raw, sugar alternatives, vegetable oils
This post was written by Yzanne