June 13, 2017 2:50 pm Leave your thoughts
There are all sorts of ways of eating vegan out there right now. Some work on eating mostly vegan (chegan, as it’s sometimes called – or ‘cheating vegan’); some divide the day into vegan and non-vegan parts (Vegan Before 6); while others aim towards an entirely vegan lifestyle – but only for a few days per week. Rather like the 5:2 fasting diet plan, 3-Day Vegan and 5-Day Vegan diets give you the chance to alter your diet according to the time of the week.
What are 3-Day Vegan and 5-Day Vegan?
If you’re doing 3-Day Vegan, you’ll eat vegan food for three days of the week. If you’re doing 5-Day Vegan, you’ll eat vegan food for five days. (And of course, there’s nothing to stop you becoming a 2-Day Vegan or a 6-Day Vegan if you prefer!) Eating vegan means eating no animal products whatsoever. No meat, no dairy products, no honey, no animal by-products such as gelatine, or those ingredients found a long way down the label, like whey.
If you’re not on a vegan day, you can eat whatever you like.
What can you eat on your vegan days?
Vegans can eat a rich, varied and delicious diet – particularly if they find their way to Naturally Good Food! We can offer you:
- Nuts and seeds: for protein, as well as nut and seed butters (for sandwiches).
- Grains: brown rice and quinoa are our favourites.
- Pulses: you can’t be a vegan without pulses! We have them all, both from the UK and further afield.
- Coconut oil: this is a healthy source of plant-based fat that’s great for cooking with, especially in curries and baking. It also makes a wonderful moisturiser and general beauty product, where you can be sure that no animal has been harmed.
- Non-dairy milk: we stock a large range of nut-, seed- and soya-based milk alternatives, as well as milks made from grains such as quinoa, rice and oats. We also have non-dairy creams, custards, chocolate and desserts.
- Vegan cooking ingredients: most cooking ingredients are already free from animal products, but a few specialist ones are worth checking out, such as our vegetarian suet, made from vegetable fats, and the Orgran no-egg egg replacer and Vegan Easy Egg egg substitute.
- Vegan treats: we have a great selection of gelatine-free sweets, and raw fruit and nut bars from brands such as RawBite.
- Vegan sports and other supplements: we have vegetable-based (rather than whey-based) sports nutrition powders, and supplements such as Engevita, to increase your intake of B12.
What’s the point of these diets?
Some people suspect that many of these not-quite-entirely-vegan diets are a sneaky way of easing you in gradually to a full vegan lifestyle. For others, eating vegan for a certain number of days a week is really just to do with the health benefits. Plant-based diets are low in saturated fats and high in fibre, fresh fruit and vegetables, wholegrains and protein. They can have dramatic results in terms of weight loss and can help maintain healthy cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
Whether you’re a 7-day vegan, a 7-hour vegan, a flash-in-the-pan vegan, or simply an aspiring vegan, we at Naturally Good Food will be happy to cater for you. We’re open 5 days a week – but can take your orders 24/7.
Tags: 3-day vegan, 5-day vegan, brown rice, chegan, Coconut Oil, dairy-free milk, diet, Easy Egg, egg alternative, egg replacer, egg substitute, Engevita, gelatin-free sweets, gelatine-free sweets, grains, Hodmedod, non-dairy chocolate, non-dairy cream, non-dairy custard, non-dairy desserts, non-dairy milk, nut butter, Nuts, Orgran No Egg, Pulses, quinoa, raw fruit bars, raw nut bars, RawBite, seed butter, Seeds, UK pulses, vegan before 6, vegan egg, vegan sports nutrition, vegan sports powders, vegan sports supplements, vegan sweets, vegan treats, vegetarian, vegetarian suet
Categorised in: Cold Pressed Oils, Dairy Free, Grains, Lentil, Moo Free, Nut Butters, Nuts, Orgran, Pulses, Raw-Bite, Rice, Seeds, snack bars, Soya Milk, sports nutrition, Sports Suppliments, Vegan, Wholefoods
This post was written by Yzanne