September 8, 2017 3:53 pm Leave your thoughts
Time to make the Christmas cake? Yes, it really is! Christmas cakes aren’t like ordinary cakes – they need a good long time to mature. Make them in September or October, and, over the following weeks, as the nights draw in and the air becomes thick with excitement, the spices and dried fruits slowly release and intermingle their full flavours. You’ll also need to ‘feed’ a traditional Christmas cake with brandy, rum or similar, to give a rich moistness – and this too is best done over an extended period of time.
That’s why, at Naturally Good Food, we start to see our dried fruits, marzipan, icing sugar and nuts fly off the shelves in early September. As our organic packers plunge ever deeper into bulk boxes of currants, raisins and sultanas, we know that it really is time to make the Christmas cake.
Best ingredients to make the Christmas cake
Christmas cake recipes all vary slightly. But in every case, you’ll be looking to create a rich, moist, fruity showstopper. Naturally Good Food is the best place to shop for the very finest ingredients. We’ve got all the dried fruit you’ll need, in its juiciest, richest form. We’ve got the finest marzipan, icing sugar and flour. We’ve got wonderfully pungent organic spices – and we’ve got gluten-free alternatives. Let’s take a look at some of our ingredients.
- Currants: bright little organic buttons, with a wonderfully sharp taste.
- Sultanas: organic sultanas are rich and mellow.
- Raisins: organic raisins bring the Mediterranean sun to your festive table.
- Organic mixed dried fruit: let us do the hard work for you!
- Cranberries: a great, really fruity addition.
- Figs: some recipes call for our flavoursome organic figs (ready-diced work best).
- Apricots: organic apricots are dark and rich.
- Prunes: prunes add moisture and a sugary depth of flavour.
- Glace cherries: we have natural colour, sticky, unctuous, glace cherries.
- Mixed peel: our organic mixed peel is heavenly!
- Plain flour
- Spices: nutmeg, mixed spice, cloves and cinnamon are the spices most frequently called for. Organic spices have a great, strong flavour.
- Soft brown sugar: we’re specialist stockers of unrefined brown sugars.
- Almonds: whole for decoration, blanched or flaked. Organic are by far the best.
- Black treacle
- Marzipan: we stock the finest organic Lubecker marzipan. If you’re looking to make your own, buy our organic ground almonds, caster sugar, icing sugar and almond extract instead.
- Gluten-free plain flour: we stock an amazing range of gluten-free flours. Find yourself a good gluten-free Christmas cake recipe and then come to us to stock up on your free from ingredients.
Tags: almond extract, almonds, apricots, black treacle, caster sugar, chopped figs, christmas, cinnamon, cloves, cranberries, currants, dates, dried fruit, figs, glace cherries, Gluten free, gluten free flour, gluten-free plain flour, ground almonds, icing sugar, lemon juice, Lubeca, Lubecker, make the Christmas cake, marzipan, mixed dried fruit, mixed peel, mixed spice, natural colour glace cherries, nutmeg, Nuts, Organic, organic dried fruit, organic marzipan, organic spices, plain flour, prunes, raisins, soft brown sugar, sultanas, unrefined sugar
This post was written by Yzanne