January 5, 2018 7:19 am Leave your thoughts
We’re going all out to help vegans this month, to celebrate Veganuary. We’ve got a lot of vegan customers – and a number of vegan staff members too, who give us some great pointers about products. In our other January blogs, we’re looking at vegan beauty, lifestyle and haircare: but of course, underpinning it all, we’ve got our amazing vegan food products to tell you about!
Just the right time of the year
Veganuary is a movement that encourages us to make one month of our year vegan. And January is the perfect one to choose! It’s the month where we perhaps regret slightly some of the excesses of the Christmas period, where we feel the urge to make a new beginning, and where the gloom and damp make a diet rich in colourful, fresh ingredients seem particularly appealing.
At its core, veganism is all about animal welfare. There are other, secondary, concerns too: more and more people are eating vegan because they believe it’s better for their health to avoid animal products. Others believe that it’s the cheapest way to eat. For many people, a vegan diet is part of a wider environmentally aware lifestyle.
How NGF can help vegans
We’ve got loads of products that are really popular with vegans. Take a look at these, for starters:
- Nuts and seeds, including nut and seed butters
- Grains, including brown rice and quinoa
- Pulses, including peas, beans, chickpeas and lentils
- Non-dairy oils, including coconut oil. Coconut oil is a healthy source of plant-based fat that’s great for use in cooking, especially in curries and baking. It also makes a wonderful moisturiser and general beauty product, where you can be sure that no animal has been harmed.
- Non-dairy milk: we stock a large range of nut-, seed- and soya-based milk alternatives, as well as milks made from grains such as quinoa, rice and oats. We also have non-dairy creams, custards, chocolate and desserts.
- Vegan cooking ingredients: most cooking ingredients are already free from animal products, but a few specialist ones are worth checking out, such as our vegetarian suet, made from vegetable fats, the Orgran no-egg egg replacer, and the spectacular Orgran Easy Egg – for ‘proper’ scrambled eggs, omelettes, quiches and frittata!
- Gelatine-free sweets
- Raw fruit and nut bars from brands such as RawBite
- Blackstrap molasses (a great source of iron)
- Dark and dairy-free chocolate
- Dried fruit: for additional vitamins and minerals
- Vegan sports and other supplements: we have vegetable-based (rather than whey-based) sports nutrition powders, and supplements such as Engevita, to increase your intake of B12.
We like to talk to vegans!
We like to talk to vegans – and we like to talk about veganism! If you’d like to chat with us about your vegan requirements, just get in touch via the Online chat on the website, by email, or by phone. And click on these links to see what else we’ve been saying recently about vegans!
- It’s carnage out there – but we can help vegans
- Is it unreasonable to become a vegan?
- Plant-based eating: the same as veganism?
- Are you a level 5 vegan? We’ve got what you need!
- We’re never rude to vegans at NGF
Tags: beans, blackstrap molasses, brown rice, chickpeas, Coconut Oil, Dairy free chocolate, dairy-free cream, dairy-free custard, dairy-free desserts, dairy-free milk, dark chocolate, dried fruit, Engevita, gelatine-free sweets, grains, January, lentils, new year, non-dairy milk, non-dairy oil, nut butter, Nuts, Orgran Easy egg, Orgran no egg egg replacer, peas, Pulses, quinoa, RawBite, seed butter, Seeds, sports nutrition powders, tofu, vegan, vegan egg, vegan sports supplements, vegan sweets, Veganuary, vegetable supplements, vegetarian suet
This post was written by Yzanne