February 8, 2018 6:43 am 1 Comment
Some people ‘top’ their pancakes – some people ‘fill’ them (I’ve even seen people sculpt them into the shape of the Sydney Opera House). Whatever you do, you’ll need some great stuff to work with. Naturally Good Food is proud to present its top ten pancake toppings (or fillings!) for 2018.
- Sugar and lemon. The classic. Go for brown sugar though – in particular, this lovely coconut palm sugar, which gives a perfumed simplicity.
- Rehydrated organic apricots and figs, with crème fraiche or plain yoghurt.
- Chocolate nut spread. Naturally, we sell dairy-free spreads, and spreads suitable for other ‘free from’ diets. We even sell chocolate spreads without the nuts!
- Roasted salted peanut butter – or one of our myriad other nut butters, such as this mixture of coconut and almond butter.
- Chopped pistachios, rosewater, cinnamon and honey.
- Vegetable and cheese sauce: whip up a quick béchamel and sauté some leeks and onions, perhaps adding some bacon and ham.
- Using chickpea flour, make a high-protein savoury pancake. Add some chopped spring onions, peppers and chives to the pancake batter, and top with mushrooms, or avocado and salsa.
- Ice-cream and toffee sauce (make your own with brown sugar).
- Maple syrup – or golden syrup, agave syrup, barley malt syrup, date syrup or brown rice syrup. Syrup, in short!
- Fruit purees – or jams (lemon curd is just fantastic, too).
- Savoury ingredients, with a honey and mustard dressing.
(Number 11 is a little bonus there. After all, sometimes you need more than one shot at a pancake.)
If you’re looking for more inspiration, we’d point you in the direction of our previous pancake recipes and blogs. These cover the spectrum from ridiculously indulgent to good-old-wholefood options.
- Tiganites: currant, honey and walnut pancakes
- Purple pancakes with blueberry and flaxseed
- Blueberry and acai pancakes
- Nut butter and banana Scotch pancakes
- Gordon Ramsay’s chocolate pancakes
This post was written by Yzanne