July 16, 2018 6:45 am Leave your thoughts
- Rejoice! Lemons are packed full of vitamin C, magnesium and potassium. They also provide you with a great supply of copper, thiamin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, iron, vitamin B6, calcium, folate and fibre. They’re full of antioxidants and are also anti-inflammatory. They’ll give your immune system a great boost.
- Preserve them! See here for instructions: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/feb/15/make-your-own-preserved-lemons. You’ll need the very best salt, too. Use your preserved lemons for the most amazing Moroccan and Mediterranean dishes, especially in the depths of winter. (And if life somehow fails to give you lemons to preserve, buy these from us.)
- Candy them! Use our wonderful sugar to preserve them and then add to homemade mincemeat and baking, especially at Christmas. (Once again, should life fail you in this respect, you can buy your candied lemon peel from us!)
- Make lemon biscuits with them – or lemon muffins.
- Clean aluminium pans with them.
- Make a summery lemon drizzle cake.
- Squeeze them over your pancakes – adding sugar, of course.
- Use them as a natural cleaning ingredient, with vinegar and bicarbonate of soda.
- Marinade fish and meat in them.
- Make lemon curd with them – and then a lemon curd sponge with that.
- Create a salad dressing with them, along with mustard, oil and vinegar.
- Use them for medicinal purposes: ward off or treat a cold by squeezing them into a mug of hot water and honey and drinking it all up.
- Make them the basis of a fantastic new business and get Naturally Good Food to stock your products (Bumblezest.co.uk).
- Use them to make a basic electrochemical battery and run a clock off it.
- And yes, if you must, make lemonade! You’ll also need sugar (and some like a pinch of salt, too), so let’s hope that life gives you them next. If it doesn’t, you can, of course, buy these ingredients from Naturally Good Food.
Life throws us all lemons from time to time, but not always just when we need them. Stay prepared by keeping a stash in your fruit bowl or fridge at all times. They’re one of the quickest ways of adding zest, pizzazz, vitamins and minerals to your diet.bicarbonate of soda, Bumblezest, candied lemon peel, honey, lemon drizzle cake, lemons, mustard, natural cleaning, oil, preserved lemons, salt, sugar, vinegar
This post was written by Yzanne